Sunday, March 16, 2014

Wherewolves by John Vamvas and Olga Montes


“What is a monster? Something that grows hair all over and howls? Could be. But the real monster is within, and when it comes out, it’s as fugly as you see it, or as it lets you see it.” -John Vamvas, Olga Montes, Wherewolves


Wherewolves follows several military kids who are taken by their teacher into the woods. Soon, some start disappearing and it becomes a fight for their survival. Those who remain start working towards their own survival and find themselves terrified in the woods. It becomes a fight to the finish, but will they all make it out alive? And could the monsters in the dark picking them off really be werewolves? You can find an official plot on the Goodreads page or The Wherewolves Blog

Wherewolves by John Vamvas and Olga Montes starts towards the end of the story before rewinding to an earlier point in the timeline. I found this extremely interesting especially once the book caught up to where the first chapter had ended and you found out what happens. I found the book was great in the way that you never knew what was going to happen. 
And you could make several educated guesses but it never seemed to actually be what you thought it was. The mixture of dialogue and description was nicely handled and you found yourself actually feeling bad for some of the kids you previously might not have cheered for. This was a great book, even though it wasn't necessarily a genre I generally enjoy. But I did enjoy Wherewolves.

I'm going to say that this is the perfect book for young adults to read in particular. Wherewolves talks about the issues of bullying and it shows a certain response to that same bullying that might not be the answer. It's great to see that in a book and it would be good for young adults to read.But it's also good for those people who love horror and what's more horror that could potentially be a reality. I have to say that that's what freaked me out more than the monsters. It was the fact that it could actually happen in the right circumstances that really got me. I'll definitely be sleeping with one eye open tonight! Let me know what you thought about the book in the comments! Or feel free to tell me what you think of the book even if you haven't read it yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!