Saturday, August 2, 2014

His Game, Her Rules by Charlene Groome

(Image found on Goodreads)
"What was the point of coming here today if she didn't have a chance?" -Charlene Groome, His Game, Her Rules

Ty is a Vancouver Warriors player and he's used to getting what he wants. But when the new skating coach shuts down his advances quickly, he's ready to chase her. But Eileen wants to show the men on the team and management that just because she's a woman doesn't mean that she can't play hockey. And a relationship with Ty could jeopardize that. Will she break her own rules or will it be her heart that's breaking? Find the official description on Goodreads.

Okay, so as you already know, I like hockey so when I saw this book on NetGalley I just had to request it. And luckily I was approved to get a copy! So yay, let's get down to the review!

It starts out really well, however I found that the present tense usage in a third person narrative just doesn't seem as comfortable to me as the past tense tends to be. The sentences occasionally sounded choppy and it wasn't a style of narrative that I enjoyed. This made reading the book a little more difficult but it's something that you can get past. Especially when you meet Eileen and Ty.

It seems that each character holds stereotypes in their mind(like any person does have occasionally. And this made them human to their readers. Not only that but I enjoyed as the characters occasionally disproved these stereotypes. It was really fun in the way they did so and it definitely made the book amusing.

There was also plenty of drama to keep the reader entertained. Eileen had numerous threats and she was fighting her attraction to Ty. I loved that Charlene Groome pushed the boundaries with a woman coaching men at a professional level. It was a unique perspective and I like that she was messing around with boundaries that are usually clearly established. 

While the third person, present tense style of writing isn't exactly my thing and it seemed choppy to me, I did enjoy the plot and characters. If you like hockey and a strong female character, than I suggest you at least give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!