Friday, October 10, 2014

The Dybbuk's Mirror by Alisse Lee Goldenberg

(Found on Alisse's Webpage)
"The silence from her friends was getting unnerving." -Alisse Lee Goldenberg, The Dybbuk's Mirror

Carrie and her friends have adjusted to living far apart from one another. But when Lindsay and Rebecca stop answering Carrie's texts and emails, she becomes concerned. When her fears are confirmed, she finds herself reentering Hadariah in order to save her friends. But the land is different from how it had been when she was first there and she meets new friends as well as old. Will Carrie be able to save her friends? Find the official description on Goodreads.

I found that in The Dybbuk's Mirror I could relate to Carrie a little better.  I did connect with her a bit before but I did so much more in this book as I could understand her feelings a little better. Especially about her friends. That definitely made me think about the past three years. It was great to be able to make that connection stronger with Carrie. It made the book even more enjoyable.

At first the disappearance of Rebecca and Lindsay wasn't made obvious. Just a few little things that you don't think about until it becomes clear that something is going on. 

Again Alisse Lee Goldenberg intrigues the reader, giving them questions that they sometimes are given answers to right away while others they have to wait for. It keeps the reader interested and reading. 

I found  that the description of food/drinks and the taste of those foods and/or drinks was really well done. I could almost taste the things that Carrie was describing and I really enjoyed that. It was really well done.

At times I've found Emilia almost too composed, but seeing her freak out at one point makes me feel like she's a little more easy to relate to.  This made me feel a little less like she was perfect all the time and thus cold or not really feeling anything towards her to melting a little towards her as a character.

The decisions that have to be made are terrible and I'm glad that Alisse Lee Goldenberg made it seem as if the characters were really struggling with these decisions. It made them seem like real people and less untouchable or at a distance from a reader. As well as being more realistic. 

The Dybbuk's Mirror lived up to the first book in the series and if you read and loved The Strings of the Violin than you won't be disappointed by the sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!