Saturday, March 28, 2015

Death Wish by Megan Tayte

(image found on Goodreads)

IN SEARCH OF THE MEANING OF DEATH, SHE’LL FIND THE MEANING OF LIFE. 

The Ceruleans: mere mortals infused with power over life and death. Five books; one question: If the might of the heavens were in your hands, would you be sinner or saint? 

Seventeen-year-old Scarlett Blake is haunted by death. Her estranged sister has made the ultimate dramatic exit. Running away from school, joining a surfing fraternity, partying hard: that sounds like Sienna. Butsuicide? It makes no sense. 

Following in her sister’s footsteps, Scarlett comes to the isolated cove of Twycombe, Devon, with grand plans to uncover the truth. Alone. But she hasn’t reckoned on meeting two boys who are determined to help her. Luke: the blue-eyed surfer who’ll see the real Scarlett, who’ll challenge her, who’ll save her. And Jude: the elusive drifter with a knack for turning up whenever Scarlett’s in need. 

As Scarlett’s quest for the truth unravels, so too does her grip on reality as she’s always known it. Because there’s something strange going on in this little cove. A dead magpie circles the skies. A dead deer watches from the undergrowth. Hands glow with light. Warmth. Power

What transpires is a summer of discovery. Of what it means to conquer fear. To fall in love. To choose life. To choose death. 

To believe the impossible. 
Description found on Goodreads.


This book was definitely dark, or at least had a dark start. I think the author captured the grief and the darkness of Scarlett really well at the beginning of the book. Then you start moving away from it, and she starts growing more and more. It's so marvelous to see this development. It certainly talked about a lot of the questions people have after a death like that and I think it handed the issue tactfully without going overboard or making it too spectacular.

This is one book that  I honestly didn't mind the first person perspective. Which is a bit different. I mean I wouldn't say I was in love with the perspective but at the same time I didn't dislike it. It was sort of neutral but leaning towards liking the perspective from Scarlett's point of view. Although of course after Jude gets a bit cryptic or something happens with Luke it made me wish I could see into their heads as well. But it left some mystery to try to solve, some puzzle that needed decoding. And that certainly was one factor I enjoyed about this book. You know sort of what's happening or think you do but you don't understand why and you don't understand Jude. Those are the mysteries that you must solve.

That ending. I just, talk about cliffhanger. And well I can live with cliffhangers I also wish we knew more of what was going on. Because that seemed almost a major cliffhanger. And I'm curious as to what will happen. I got invested in the characters and fell in love with them. You don't want anything to upset them but at the same time you know something has to happen or else there wouldn't really be a book. 

Overall, Death Wish was a good read, especially if you enjoy Young Adult Paranormal Romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!