Sunday, April 20, 2014

We Are The Goldens by Dana Reinhardt

(Image found on Goodreads)


Nell and Layla, the two Golden sisters, close as can be. But as Nell enters high school, they start drifting apart. Layla has a secret, one that will destroy reputations. Nell knows but doesn't want to tell because they've always stuck together. But Nell knows its wrong and she can't help but feel like she needs to do something with it. There are so many things going on now that Nell's a high school student and she's feeling the pressure. But will she be able to tell someone about Layla or will it all just blow up? Find the official description on Goodreads.

We Are The Goldens is told from Nell's point of view. I don't usually enjoy first person perspective but in this book it really worked well. You were easily able to see Nell's perspective and develop your own opinions. Not to mention you saw the conflicts she was experiencing. The way it was told, it seemed as if it was a letter, one that you just happened to stumble upon one day. Then there's the fact that the way that Nell adds in certain comments to her telling of events makes you jump to conclusions about the ending.



That's another thing that Dana has done. She's left the ending so that the reader can come to their own conclusions. The reader can come to so many conclusions, all of them different and unique. But it's all left up to the imagination of the reader. This isn't something you see in a lot of books and it was unique. I enjoyed it even while I found myself wondering what had happened and letting my mind run through different options of what happened.

Throughout the book, it focuses a lot on Nell's hero worship of her older sister. But as the book goes on you see a slow decline in that hero worship. Then there's the fact that everything seems to Nell that it piles up at once, a feeling I know is all too real as it always seems to happen to me as well. That alone made me feel very much connected to Nell and able to dive into the book as if I were her. With the first person perspective I almost felt as if I was an older Nell, reading a letter that a younger Nell had left and knowing the outcome. We Are The Goldens shows the difficulties that come with growing up and it portrays them realistically.

We Are The Goldens by Dana Reinhardt is an amazingly realistic and wonderful read. I suggest this to anyone and everyone. It will draw you in and make you feel. We Are The Goldens will be released on May 27th, 2014. Do you think you'll give it a shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!