Monday, May 12, 2014

I Know Lucy by Melissa Pearl

(Image found on Goodreads)
"I think sometimes you just see a girl and something about her captures you." -Melissa Pearl, I Know Lucy

Lucy has been on the run for five years now, constantly hiding from a corrupt official who killed both her parents in front of her own eyes. But when she finds herself at Monte Vista High, she discovers that she's found the one person she doesn't want to and can't leave; Zach. But when he starts digging into her past with the help of his reporter uncle, will she be able to fight her way away from Zach? Or will he be the one thing she can't leave behind no matter what happens to her? Find the official description on Goodreads.

The first thing I'm going to point out is that the author did something different with her writing. Many of the chapters are from first person perspective.
She gives us Zach's perspective. When we do have chapters from Lucy's point of view they are always third person. This was new to me, and at first I found it confusing. But once I got used to it, it was new and exciting. It was something that I did enjoy although I do wish that we could have had a chapter or two from Lucy's perspective in first person. Just for a switch up. But otherwise I enjoyed the perspectives. Especially because Zach has a rambly, chatty way of telling his tale which makes it easy to read. He's a goofy and humorous narrator, one that keeps the reader laughing while still being serious at times.

Then there are the flashbacks into Lucy's history. We don't get her history all at once. Instead we get them through flashbacks that appear throughout the book. It was a good way to do things as Lucy's flashbacks were heavy and dark while Zach's narrative was upbeat and funny. It kept things balanced, allowing the reader to get a glimpse into Lucy's past while not overwhelming them with too much darkness or pain.

It was easy to fall in love with the characters, and feel their emotions, especially Zach as we are literally seeing things through his eyes. There were many touching, sweet moments as well as some funny moments with a few dark moments mixed in. 

I Know Lucy is an great read, one that I would suggest to those people who tend to like corruption in their books as well as the struggle to survive with a goofy narrator to boot. Do you find corrupt officials in books interesting? Or something that's overplayed? What did you think about I Know Lucy?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for a great review. I love your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad that I got the chance to review your book! :)
      Aly

      Delete

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!