Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Double Major by Catherine Gayle

(Image found on Goodreads)
"He swallowed hard, his Adam’s apple bobbing in his throat, and a rush of peace washed through me." -Catherine Gayle, Double Major

It's Draft Day for the NHL but for the Portland Storm team, it's something much more. It's time to see two of their own married. But with the possibility of teammates getting traded, new players being drafted and so much more, can they come together as a team to celebrate the nuptials? Find the official description on Goodreads.

So, the first thing I'm going to point out is that we get to hear things from the perspectives of all our favorite characters, some newer than others but all loved just the same(especially Babs). I loved that it wasn't just focused on two characters as it seems to fit this book the best. It's meant to be a sort of epilogue from the other books and I'm really glad that Catherine Gayle chose to write from different perspectives. I definitely enjoyed the depth it gave to the story.

There's also this feeling of happiness but underlying that is a sense of dread. After all with it being draft day, players could get traded. So, I almost didn't want to read more just because of that possibility, but while reading Double Major I suffered, there were also happy moments. So, I felt like it made things worth it to just experience and see the joy the couples are experiencing for the most part.

It was also a chance to see that even after the couples of previous books are together, it's not always perfect, and it's not always a fairy tale. This made the characters seem even more real to me as I read along and I felt that it was marvelous to see the troubles that they were going through but also to see that they work things out. Not to mention we got updates on how everyone was doing and where everyone was.

Throughout Double Major there were a mixture of emotions. And I felt all of the emotions that the characters were. And without going into too much depth, I was proud of the characters. I feel like they, especially two of them, made the right decision even if it was hard and my inner fangirl was crying, one that will hopefully affect the future positively. 

And we also got some more time with Nicky. I've kind of felt like he's sort of been on the outskirts of my notice many times because we don't get to see him a whole lot in the books but I'm glad that he was brought forward in this novella. I'm really hopeful that someday we'll get his story and get to learn even more about him than we did in Double Major.

Once more Catherine Gayle has created an emotional, amazing hockey romance and I am so excited to see where she goes from here. I can't wait to see more of the Portland Storm either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!